In this study, we developed a successful strategy for the mitigation, recovery, and landscape rehabilitation of the areas impacted by mining works in the Quebradona Copper Mining Project, one of the largest mining megaprojects in South America. Located in the municipality of Jericó – Antioquia, in the Southwest Subregion. The project has two areas, one located in the mountain area (ZQ) specifically in the Quebradona village, Palocabildo district, and the valley area (ZV), in the Cauca village. A diagnosis of the elements and the relationships with the landscape is established, to generate mitigation models distributed in management areas.

In this analysis, 195 Landscape Units (LU) were defined and limited as spaces with their own characteristics or homogeneous areas. These landscape units are established based on the essential factors in the high mountain landscape: geomorphological units, climatic zones, and vegetation cover. In this study, the construction of tailings piles, pyrites, and infrastructure works for the construction phase is modeled over time. An analysis of growth in exposed areas for the years of the construction phase is analyzed. A visual basin study of the construction works in the valley and mountain area is carried out.  We used ArcGIS and Global Mapper SIG software to develop a coupled fragility – quality model to analyze the vulnerability of the natural system to anthropogenic changes. The dynamics of the scenic background are studied as well as the influence of the surrounding landscape on the quality of the visual scene. The study of the landscape must be included in any development project, both to determine its quality against the exercise of certain activities and adopt measures aimed at mitigating and reducing the visual impact for the preservation and protection of the natural system [1].

According to the analysis of the suggested mitigation strategies, 87.99% corresponds to natural strategies (planting of native forest valley zone, Live barrier, revegetating with pasture, revegetating with shrubs, Establishment of native forest in the Mountain area) and the remaining 12.01% corresponds to temporary mitigation measures that reduce the mismatch generated by the infrastructure during execution. The results show that the mitigation strategies established for the most important intercepted areas were 82% successful for the valley area and 75% for the mountain area due to the presence of subduction events. The simulation for the mitigation strategies shows a considerable reduction in the visual impact of the mining project of about 85%.

  • Rosa España (reespana@miners.utep.edu)1, W. Lopez2, F. Lopez3
  • reespana@miners.utep.edu
  • Poster